The poet Jenny Joseph published a very untypical, tongue-in-cheek ditty in 1965 entitled ‘Warning’. She was irritated when it was voted Britain’s most popular post-war poem in a TV poll by the BBC the following year. You may recognise it from its opening lines:
‘When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me,
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.’
Most of my life I have dressed with a preference for colour coordination, blending in with the fashion of the day. I strongly agreed with the opinion of fashion gurus that sandals should be worn sock-free (as in Bible lands), and with their criticism of old men (often in shorts) who wore their everyday socks with sandals. But in my late 70s I started to don white sport socks that usually clashed with all my other clothing, because I found them to be warm in winter and sweat-absorbent in summer, cheap to buy and lasted longer than my regular socks . So now that I am a senior citizen I couldn’t care less!
Now that I’m old I dare to wear
white socks with sandals. Why should I care
what expert stylists all dictate?
I’m part of a multi-cultured nation,
few of whom know of my journey to date,
or of my pedicure condition?
John’s bunion could hamper his pilgrim progress,
and humid weather cause sweaty feet,
so he needs thick socks to soak the excess.
And if they’re white and clash and compete
with the rest of his clothes that began their day neat,
so what? I shall worry not one jot
if the trend-setters total ten or a million.
Why should my heart sink as I wash the pots?
Like fashion, that’s merely a matter of a pinny* on! [* a child’s apron or pinafore]
I’ll even risk tabloid writers reporting
in their gossip columns of social scandals
and admit my sacrilegious habit:
‘Old Guy Attends Church Sporting White Socks With Sandals!’
Hugh Thompson, Weston-super-Mare, August 2017
- Active Witnessing (9)
- Around the Lord's Table (26)
- As I understand it (8)
- Audio – Podcasts from Hugh (1)
- Borrowed Insights (8)
- Christian Doctrine (12)
- Death and Eternity (12)
- Details of Discipleship (37)
- Effective prayer (22)
- Exorcism & Deliverance (1)
- Fellowship in Christ (26)
- Heart and soul (39)
- In Honour of my Interpreters (4)
- Legal (3)
- Liberating Women (7)
- Miscellaneous Content (34)
- Misunderstood Bible Texts (55)
- Musings on Life (Poems) (14)
- Musings on Scripture (16)
- Podcast Scrpts (5)
- Poetry (28)
- Problems of pain (8)
- Revalation (9)
- Spiritual Worship (5)
- Story Telling Series (19)
- Studies (10)
- Teaching and Learning (16)
Blog content can be selected from the categories, or there is a list of individual Blog Titles at the bottom of this page.
* Scripture References
Refer to Blog Help above on how to use scripture references.
Recent Blog Titles
- Did Dr. Luke hint that dining in a group with Jesus would boost one’s physical, mental and spiritual health?
- What to do when you feel down
- Who or what is ‘Leviathan’?
- Jeremiah, a prophetic bird watcher
- How friendship with God ….
- Crumbs! That was some banquet!
- Bible commentators ‘at sixes and sevens’ about Wisdom
- A tally of tears
- Slow but sure
- Short and sweet
- Snippets and Horizons
- Storytelling series B7: modern yarns of gospel truths
- Storytelling series B6, modern yarns that convey Bible truths
- Storytelling series B5, Modern yarns that convey Bible truths
- Storytelling series B4
- Storytelling series B3: Modern yarns that convey Bible truths
- Storytelling series B2: Modern yarns that convey Bible truths
- Storytelling series B1: Modern yarns that convey Bible truths
- Storytelling, Series A8: Bible tales revisited
- THE LIFE-CHANGING TOUCH